My need for reorganization became abundantly clear when I started working on my current project. I went in search of notes I’d written a while back for this particular story and it took me thirty-ish minutes to find what I was looking for. Mainly because my notes are now as scattered as my mind.
When I first started writing, I was very organized. I had a binder for each series. In those binders I kept all my notes on each story, series details, names lists, character profiles, family trees, lists of terms and definitions, list of special abilities, and whatever else went along with that particular series. But at some point a couple years ago, I went rogue and started collecting these notepads, journals, and notebooks. Now I have book notes scattered all over the place, and there isn’t an empty notebook or journal anywhere in my house. I have a serious problem. lol
My goal is to get back to how things were before, and maybe my scattered mind will regain some order and I’ll get back into my writing groove. So that’s my weekend (and probably beyond) project. Complete reorganization.
Wish me luck.
Who freakin’ knows?!
2015 had its ups and downs, but for the most part, it was another great year. Now, I have a lot to look forward to with the coming of the new year, and here are just a few of them:
- A homecoming (and I don’t mean the stupid high school dance)
- A visit from my bestie who lives a gazillion miles away, on the other side of the country.
- Get to visit my family back home and see my daughter (who is now in college.) I haven’t seen her since July!
- And of course…more writing, and loads of new discoveries about myself, my writing, movies, books, music…and more.
I don’t know where my writing will take me this year, but I’m hoping to get much more done in 2016 than I did in 2015. On the menu, but not necessarily on my plate yet:
- Book #2 of the Warriors of Lykarthia series. This is Alarik’s story. Title is still in debate. A lot will be unleashed in this book, including a beast that will surprise some people…some crazy…some growing…and a little bit of confusion.
- Book #3 of the Jagara Series. I’m still iffy on this story. Not the content, but the order. I know the one currently in the #3 spot will change things for the Jagara people. It will be a change that some may see coming in a way, but there will be loads of unexpected stuff…and as always, yummy Jagara men.
- A little side project that has grown into something I never expected. It started out as a short story that was to be a part of a collection, but as I plot things out with my insider, we discover that the story goes far beyond what could ever be told in such few words. At a minimum, this will be a large novella, but if it continues to grow, it could take multiple books to tell the story. In fact, it has the potential to turn into a trilogy, which I never thought possible for me. But we’ll see how it goes once I really dig into it.
- Also, I’m feeling a little like going back to the book that started this whole journey for me, and doing some much needed editing. Who knows when or if I will ever publish this one…but the good news is that because of something I discovered in another of my series, I know the whys and hows of the main idea of this particular series.
I would love to finish at least one of these before 2016 is over, but it would be amazing to finish more. In the meantime, I’m enjoying my little break.
Until next time.
Keep chasing your dreams. The road ahead isn’t as scary as it seems.
I got my first negative review on Given yesterday. Well, it wasn’t terrible. It was a 3 out of 5. There were some positive points and some not so great, but I’m not taking it personal. I can’t complain at all when the reviewer said they were sucked into the story enough that they stayed up until 4 a.m. to finish reading because they couldn’t put the book down. I will take the review for what it is…a chance to learn and grow just like I did with the first two Jagara books. Just like anything else in life, you can’t please everyone, but you can take the constructive criticism and apply it as you see fit.
Life is about learning and growing and when your job is to create for the entertainment of others, you have to consider their opinions with an open mind. I’m not saying you have to change everything to try to make everyone happy, because that is impossible. You have to stay true to your vision, but when it comes to the way you present your story, there is always room for improvement.
The opinions of my readers matter to me. Since this is only the third book into my writing career, I know I still have a lot of growing to do. I appreciate the review I got, and though I don’t agree with everything she said, I will be taking some of her opinions into consideration just like I have done with other people’s opinions in the past and will do in the future.
Now, don’t get me wrong, outright criticism and rude comments will just be ignored. I’ve seen too many authors give up on their dream because of asshats who like to do nothing but stir the shit pot. I am not one of those authors. I will not be bullied and I will not quit what I’m doing because someone decides to be an asshole. I write because I love it, and because I want to share my stories with others. As long as there are people who enjoy them, I will keep putting my stories out there. I will continue to write because that is what I love to do. I will keep writing because it is my dream and I will not let someone take it from me.
I just want to say how thankful I am for each and every one of my readers. I’m always excited to give yall another story, and I hope I continue to grow and everyone keeps coming back for more in the future. ❤
That’s all for me for now. Until next time…Do what you love, and never give up on your dreams. You have them for a reason.
I’m gonna keep this short and sweet. Today marks the two year anniversary of this blog, and I just wanna say thank you to all my followers for sticking with me. I hope you enjoy my ramblings even if they are few and far between.